To manage or view Email Protection settings, navigate to HostPilot® Control Panel > Services > Email Protection:
Email Protection uses multi-layer spam and anti-virus filtering engines that, besides checking against real-time blacklists, relies on a sophisticated analysis of message headers and text to determine the potential legitimacy of an email.
When a message meets a spam threshold, the filter can route such message to the Junk Email folder, User Quarantine, Admin Quarantine, it can deliver the message to the Inbox folder with the tags [SPAM] or permanently delete message depending on the options enabled. If the sender is on the whitelist (Safe Senders) either for the account or for the individual mailbox, spam checks will not be performed for the messages to secure their delivery. Spam threshold can also be modified in the Email Protection settings.
Email protection provides additional options for anti-phishing and anti-spoofing filtering using multiple settings for routing the phishing messages to Quarantine, Junk, Inbox folder with the tag [POSSIBLE PHISHING] or by permanently deleting it.
Email also provides Outbound filtering which will help you to control the messages sent from users on the account to external recipients by filtering the content of the outbound emails. You can set up filtering rules by creating content filters on your Outbound Email Policy.
Note: if you are unable to locate some messages, it is possible that they have failed the basic connection checks. Please contact Support or submit a Message Tracking request to find out why the messages were not delivered.
The following checks are called basic and are always performed:
- Check against RBLs(Real-time Black Lists) provided by CloudMark, Spamhaus and com
- Check for a valid fully-qualified sender's(FROM) email address
- Check for a valid domainin the FROM address (check for a valid A or MX record)
- Check for valid recipient addresses within your organization
If an email message does not pass one of these checks, it is not accepted by the mail servers for delivery to recipients.
Email Protection + DLP:
Email Protection + DLP package allows to manage both Inbound and Outbound email filtering.
Inbound email filtering service includes the following features:
- Message Tracking: run a message trace for emails that have passed through Email Protection mail filters
- Email Reporting: create email reports for messages that have passed through Email Protection mail filters
- Policy Management: create additional spam policies
Every account has Default email filtering policy and it is not possible to remove it. This policy performs email filtering for the whole account and includes the following settings:
- Message Routing: select if the spam emails are delivered to Junk folder or to the User Quarantine, adjust spam sensitivity levels
- Policy Level Safe & Blocked Senders Lists: add users to Blocked and Safe senders
- Attachment Management: accept or reject messages with dangerous attachments. You can choose which attachment types should be considered as dangerous and which action should be applied to such types of attachments.
- URL Protection: keep URLs protected
- Phishing: manage Anti-Phishing and Anti-Spoofing policies
Outbound email filtering service includes the following features:
- Outbound Email Policies: filter all outgoing mailflow
- Outbound Quarantine Management: access and manage outbound quarantine messages
- DKIM Signing: enable DKIM signatures for additional anti-spoofing protection
Note: all messages processed by Email Protection receive one of the predefined primary categories. Read the Knowledge Base article about Understanding Categories for more information.
For more instructions on how to configure inbound and outbound mail flow for email protection with Office 365, refer to the following articles: