This article provides an overview of setting up Exchange 2007 and Smarsh Hosted Services Standalone Email Archiving to work together.
Configure SMTP Collector
Firstly, you will need to set up the SMTP collector in the Archive user interface:
- Login to CONTROL PANEL > navigate to Services > Standalone Email Archiving > click Manage Archive.
- Click on the gear icon > click on Manage to open Collectors settings > click on Manage. This screen will display the automatically generated SMTP collector address.
- Copy this email address for use in the Exchange 2007 Mail Enabled Contact setup. Take note of the domain used in your email address, you will need this to set up the Exchange Connector later in this process.
Create a Mail-Enabled Contact on your Exchange Server 2007
This step configures the Journal Receiver address on your Exchange 2007 server. This is the unique address to which all mail will be sent for your archiving account.
- Open the Exchange Management Console.
- Expand Recipient Configuration > Mail Contact.
- Click New Mail Contact > Next > Choose an OU as applicable and enter the details. Here is an example:
First Name: Email
Last Name: Archiving
Full Name: Email Archiving
- To set the address, click Edit next to External Email Address
- Enter the Journal Address copied on one of the previous steps.
- Click New to create this contact.
We recommend hiding this contact from your Global Address list. To do so, right-click on the newly created Email Archiving > Properties > check the box Hide from Exchange address lists.
Create dedicated SMTP Connector
To reduce the load on any up-stream services we recommend setting up a separate SMTP connector for your archiving journal receiver:
- Navigate to Organizational Configuration > Hub Transport > Send Connectors tab > New Send connector.
- In the New SMTP Send Connector wizard, enter Email Archiving (or another name to help identify this connector later) as the name for the new connector > choose Custom as the intended use.
- Click Add… button to specify an address space > enter the domain of your journal address > set Cost to 1 > check Include all subdomains.
- To finish the setup, click OK > Next > Next > Next and New to create the connector.
We recommend setting TLS on this connection, to ensure your internal mail is encrypted whilst travelling over a public network:
- To configure this right-click on your newly created Send Connector and select Properties.
- On the Network tab, select Enable Domain Security (Mutual Auth TLS).
- Under Organization Configuration > Hub Transport select the Journal Rules tab.
- Right-click and select New Journal Rule.
- Enter Smarsh Hosted Services Email Archiving as the rule name
- Click Browse to choose the Email Archiving contact as the Send Journal Reports to: address
- Ensure the Scope is set to Global. If your configuration demands journaling only for specific users please check the option Journal messages for recipient and select the intended users using the Browse option.
- Ensure that the Enable Rule option is checked.
- Click New.