This article provides an overview of setting up Exchange 2010 Basic Journaling and Smarsh Hosted Services Standalone Email Archiving to work together.
Configure SMTP Collector in the Email Archiving Panel
- Navigate to Services > Standalone Email Archiving, click Manage Archive.
- Click on the gear icon > click on Manage to open Collectors settings > click on Manage. This screen will display the automatically generated SMTP collector address. Copy this email address for use in the Exchange 2010 journaling setup.
Create a New Mail Contact on your Exchange server
- Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 > Exchange Management Console
- Select your Microsoft Exchange On-Premises instance > select Recipient Configuration > Mail Contact. On the Action pane, select New Mail Contact
- Select New Contact and fill in required information
- Click Edit next to the External e-mail address field and enter the SMTP collector address from step 1.
- Click OK > Next > New > Finish.
- In the Exchange Management Console, navigate to Organization Configuration > Mailbox > Database Management tab.
- Right click the database that you want to enable journaling on, and select Properties.
- Select Maintenance tab > Browse.
- Click the Journal Recipient and browse to the New Mail Contact created in Step 2.
- Click OK.
Note: The details provided in this guide are general, based upon the Microsoft Exchange documentation. Ensure that:
- the correct type of journaling option is chosen based on needs, compliance and the architecture you have deployed;
- any changes to local infrastructure, that your journaling is still operating as expected
- any type of mailbox/user migrations initiated, the expected journaling events are validated and operating as expected