This article describes the Chat feature of a Elevate Desktop Application.
There are two different types of chats: One-on-one for a conversation with a single user and Group chats for multiple users. Group Chats article covers the main differences and additional features of the Group chats.
In the first run, the Recent chats list is empty: once a chat is initiated it will be added to the Roster. To start a new chat, you may press the Add Chat button or start typing a person's name in the Search bar.
Before the first message is sent, the chat wouldn’t appear for the other chat members besides the creator of the chat. He will see this chat as Draft and can return to it later until the app is restarted
Once you send one message to anyone, this chat, both One-on-one and Group, becomes available in your Recent chat category. You can see the Contact name for One-on-one chats or the Chat name for Group chats together with the most recent message in that chat.
Chat sorting will constantly change: the system is designed to display the chats containing the most recent messages on top. Only Favorited conversations are not affected by this rotation and are displayed on top even if they don't contain any recent messages.
If you have an unread message, that chat would be displayed in bold and have the Number of unread messages indicator:
If that chat is favorited and Favorites pane is minimized, it will have a blue outline with
Number of unread messages indicator:
If the favorited chat is muted, it will show the Mute indicator:
You can also see the number of chats with unread messages on the Chats icon on the navigation panel:
When the new message is received, a pop-up notification appears.
If that message is read on any User’s device where the Elevate app is running, the other User’s devices will show this message as read.
Sent messages can have different delivery status as shown below:
Note: one-on-one chat would save and display your whole conversation history. To prevent losing critical information this history cannot be modified or removed.
You can choose if you wish to receive notifications about incoming calls and messages. This could be managed under Profile > Application settings. Here you can find separate settings for visual and audio notifications:
- Enable audio incoming call notifications.
- Enable visual incoming call notifications.
- Enable audio incoming chat notifications.
- Enable visual incoming chat notifications.
- Enable audio incoming voicemail notifications.
- Enable visual incoming voicemail notifications.
Here are the features that are available within Elevate chat:
- Emoji: customize your chat with your favorite smiley face icons. You can find Emoji conversion table here.
- Call (only for One-on-one chats): place call to the chat partner through Elevate App.
- Invite members: add members to the chat. This would open a completely new Group chat with empty history.
Select Invite members from the drop-down menu.
- Search: use this feature to find messages in any chat.
Select Search from the drop-down menu
- Favorites: add your chats to the Favorites section. In chats roster or in chat window click on star icon near user avatar to make contact Favorited.
Favorited conversations will be displayed on top of the chats list. You can switch to the minimized version of the Favorites pane and back by clicking the arrowhead button on the right from the Favorites section name.
Note: in the Mobile app, Favorited contacts will be listed on the top under Contacts list when Chat list will display recent messages on top instead. In the Mobile app, use the Pin function to prioritize conversations. Read the Knowledge Base article on Elevate Desktop App: Contacts for more information.
- Spellcheck: in the Desktop app, auto-enabled spellcheck feature highlights misspelled words in the chat message box and provides potential corrections from a predefined library.
Note: spellcheck is not supported on Windows 7.
- Mute: you can mute any chat by navigating to ••• button at the top right and selecting Mute
To unmute - simply select Unmute in the same dropdown
The muted chats will have a Muted icon next to them: