This article provides information on what happens to your archived data when the Email Archiving service is disabled in the following scenarios:
- If a user is deleted
- If the Email Archiving service is disabled for a user
- If the user's primary email address is changed
- If the Email Archiving service is disabled on the account
When a user that had Email Archiving enabled is deleted, their archived data stays in the archive. The data can be accessed by Search Admin/Search Admin Plus users or by the Account administrator. For more information read the Knowledge Base article on User Permissions in Email Archiving.
If the user is re-created and Email Archiving service is enabled for them, access to their archive is restored.
When Email Archiving is disabled for a user, the archived data remains in the archive. It cannot be accessed by the user as they lose access to their personal archive from My Services. The data can be managed by Search Admin/Search Admin Plus users or by the Account administrator.
If the Email Archiving service is re-enabled for that user, access to their archive from My Services is restored.
What happens to the archived data if a user's UPN is changed?
When a user's UPN is changed the data always stays in the archive and generally access to the archived messages is not affected.
If the UPN is changed and the old email address is removed from the list of aliases, the user will not see the messages received to that email address in their personal archive. This issue can be resolved in the following ways:
- The old UPN can be re-added to the list of aliases in CONTROL PANEL so that it is automatically linked to the user's archive and the messages are visible in the user's personal archive. For more information on how manage email aliases read the Knowledge Base article on What are email aliases for an Exchange mailbox?.
- The old UPN can be added to the personal archive manually: log in to My Services and navigate Email Archiving > Settings > Email Addresses and enter the old email address in the corresponding field.
Note: in order to be added to the archive the email address must be valid. An email with a verification link will be sent to the email address for the user to confirm ownership of the email address.
- If the old UPN is no longer valid, contact Support for assistance to grant the user access to their archived data.
After Email Archiving is disabled for the whole account or after the account is terminated the archived data is stored for 30 days.
- There is no option to disable the Email Archiving module from CONTROL PANEL. If you need to disable this service, contact Support.
- After the Email Archiving service is disabled for all users on the account the Email Archiving module is disabled automatically.