Policy Creation Overview
The following outlines the steps involved in creating a new policy.
Important: Recipients & Sender Groups will accept full email addresses only. Domain names alone will not work. Also if you need to add Regular Expressions (formerly known as Pattern Matching), you need to submit a request by contacting Smarsh Hosted Services Support.
- Define the purpose of the policy (e.g., what you need to encrypt, what you need to watch for, etc.).
- Gather the information required to create the list(s) (e.g., email addresses, keywords, etc.).
- Create the required list(s) using the Encrypted Email Console: Email lists which include the email addresses of the users affected and Keyword lists if you need your policy to encrypt messages with specific keywords.
- Create the policy.
- Test the Policy.
The below example outlines the step-by-step process of creating an Encryption Policy.
- Purpose of the policy: all the messages which have specific words in their subject or body must be encrypted.
- Click Add Policy in Home > Policies > Email Policies.
- Add name and description to the policy, and specify conditions for triggering the policy.
- Configure conditions. In this example we are using KWL_Encryption_Keywords list which is included in your Encrypted Mail Gateway by default. To create a custom list follow the instructions.
- Choose the Encryption method and click Save.
Note: Choose Custom, otherwise Encrypt action will be inherited from the Profile Settings.
TLS Encryption: Encrypted Email detects TLS-enabled domains and uses network-level encryption when available, eschewing complicated endpoint-based technologies.
Web Portal Encryption: The recipient gets a notification that he has an encrypted message waiting for pickup at the web portal. He can log in via web browser to pick up an email.
- Navigate to Home > Keywords & Dictionaries.
- Click Add a Keyword/Dictionary list in Home > Keywords & Dictionaries.
- Create a list and click on Save.