- SIP ALG is enabled by default, causing intermittent call and phone feature failures.
- DNS Proxy is enabled by default, causing intermittent registration failures on Polycom phones.
- The firewall by default is set to ClearSailing, which allows all outbound traffic but filters inbound traffic. The phones work well with this setting, but if you set the firewall above ClearSailing, it will cause intermittent phone registration failures.
- Telnet to the Netopia gateway from a computer that's behind the Netopia.
- Use PuTTY or the OS’s native telnet client to connect. The default IP is 192.168.1.254.
- Log in using:
- username: admin
- password: By default it is the Device Access Code, which is on a sticker on the Netopia gateway.
- Enter the following commands:
- set ip sip-passthrough off
- set dns primary-address 22.214.171.124
- set dns secondary-address 126.96.36.199
- set dns proxy-enable off
- set security firewall option ClearSailing
- Login to the router.
- The default IP is 192.168.1.254.
- Under Data Rate (Kbps), document the downstream & upstream and give this information to Smarsh Hosted Services.
- Smarsh Hosted Services needs this information if you experience call quality problems.
- This is the Line Rate, which is the bandwidth speeds your are paying your ISP for.
- Click on Configure > Advanced > Differentiated Services (DiffServ) > Enable > Submit.
- At the top right of the page, click on the yellow triangle with an exclamation point > Save & Restart.