- DNS resolution is too slow with default ISP DNS servers (source). It's incompatible with Polycom phones because both the WAN & DHCP DNS servers cannot be changed to resolve DNS lookup failures.
- Firmware bugs cause intermittent spikes in latency on the LAN (source). Pinging the private IP of the Ubee shows intermittent spikes in latency between 10-250ms when it should be 1 to 2 ms at most.
- In newer firmware versions, SIP ALG can be disabled.
- Issues will still persist intermittently even after making these changes so the permanent solution at the end of this article is critical to prevent further issues.
- Log in to the gateway > click on Gateway at the top of the page > click on Options under Advanced Gateway Setup > Do the following:
- WAN Blocking: Uncheck
- This option is only needed for call quality monitoring and troubleshooting purposes.
- DNS Relay: Uncheck
- SIP: Uncheck
- Click Apply
- Buy a recommended or serviceable router if you do not have one already.
- Then you will need to call your ISP to bridge the Ubee to your compatible router.
- Smarsh Hosted Services cannot setup the new router for you, but your IT or the manufacturer of your new router can help you.
- They will need to move settings from the old to the new router to ensure your computers and other devices on the network work properly.