If a user shares a folder with another user in a different organization, a regular share will be established instead of sending a web link.
Regular share cannot be established if:
- Organizations are on different PODs (ShareSync servers).
Servers can be found in ShareSync web:
- Sharing is not available between different platforms .
In two cases above App will suggest sharing by sending a weblink with the closest permission.
There are two types of external users in ShareSync, depending on the way they have been added for folder sharing:
- By administrators creating external ShareSync users via CONTROL PANEL.
Such external users have full ShareSync functionality and will be recognized as internal.
- By existing regular users sending invitations to external collaborators using Web interface.
Such users have limited functionality. ShareSync administrators do not have this option in the Admin center.
In order to set up a collaborative folder share, Admin needs to create a new ShareSync user in CONTROL PANEL. User’s own email address should be entered in the Email Address (login) field to ensure that all email-based notifications generated by ShareSync are delivered to the end-user. The email address may be hosted by any 3rd party company.
Once the user is created, they will have full access to all desktop, mobile and web apps features of ShareSync.
To allow users external sharing without admin approval:
- Make sure External Sharing is enabled on the Services > ShareSync > Policies > Sharing policy page:
- On the Services > ShareSync > Users page, check the Pre-approve External Collaborative Sharing box:
To restrict users from external sharing:
- Make sure External Sharing is not enabled on the Services > ShareSync > Policies > Sharing policy page:
- On the Services > ShareSync > Users page, uncheck the Pre-approve External Collaborative Sharing box:
If you choose to approve end-users' requests, you will do it the following way:
This is how external collaborators appear in your user list in CONTROL PANEL:
|Regular ShareSync user||External Collaborator|
|occupy ShareSync disk space||+||+|
|can use all ShareSync clients (desktop and mobile)||+||+|
|can create folders||+||+|
|can upload own files||+||+|
|can be granted with the following level of permissions to folder||view, modify, co-owner||view, modify|
|can have any domain name||+||should have an external domain name for the company, that doesn't use ShareSync|
|can set permission-based sharing||+||-|
|can share via link||+||-|
|increase monthly charges for ShareSync according to the billing plan||+||-|
|increase account total disk space according to the billing plan||+||-|
|can login in My Services||+||+|
|can restore password using Forgot password? on Unified Login Page||+||+|
|can restore trashed content trashed in personal folders||+||+|
|can restore trashed content trashed in shared folders||+||-|
|apply backup policies||+||Can synchronize only My ShareSync folder|