Instructions below apply to Windows Server 2008 R2. If you are using Windows Server 2012, please refer to Microsoft article.
Promoting a Cloud Server to a Domain Controller
To promote a Cloud Server to a domain controller:
- Go to Start > Run and enter dcpromo.
- To install the required binary files and start the installation wizard, click OK.
- In the Active Directory Domain Services Installation wizard, click Next.
- To dismiss the security warning, click Next.
- On the Choose a Deployment Configuration screen, select Create a New Domain in a New Forest and click Next.
- On the Forest Root Domain screen, enter a Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) to use with your domain controller and then click Next.
Note: The value for FQDN should resemble domain.local or domain.com. If you are unsure, enter a local domain of your own choosing. You can set up more aliases later.
- When prompted, select Windows Server 2008 R2 for the Forest function level and then click Next.
- On the Additional Domain Controller Options screen, select any additional options and click Next.
- On the Location for Database, Log files, and SYSVOL screen, select the desired values and then click Next.
- On the Restore Password page, enter the password to use should it become necessary to restore the Active Directory Domain and then click Next to build the domain.
- On the Completing the Active Directory Domain Services Installation wizard screen, click Finish.
- A summary of your selections is displayed. To continue, click Next.
- To finish setting up the new domain, you are prompted to restart the server: Once the server is rebooted, the server is configured a domain controller. Remember to log in using the proper domain credentials.