Q: Which file type are blocked by Desktop sync client (not synchronized)?
- Files starting with ~$ ?.tmp files ?desktop.ini ?thumbs.db
- Files and folders with names that contain the following characters: / or \
- File extensions: .lnk and .lck
- Reserved names: ".", "..", "CON", "PRN", "AUX", "CLOCK$", "NUL", "COM0", "COM1", "COM2", "COM3", "COM4", "COM5", "COM6", "COM7", "COM8", "COM9", "LPT0", "LPT1", "LPT2", "LPT3", "LPT4", "LPT5", "LPT6", "LPT7", "LPT8", "LPT9"
Q: Are Hidden Files & Folders being Synchronized?
- Hidden files should be synced as well as hidden folders.
Q: How long can a file path be?
- Backend file path limit is 750 characters
- Windows environment has file path limitation set to 260 characters. If you create a file in ShareSync Web Client in a location which has larger path than this number of characters (including the file name), you may see that overlay icons disappeared on your PC for this folder and the created file.
- If you try to move this file from one folder to another via desktop, you may see the following disclaimer:
The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path.
You won't be able to move the file via desktop, use ShareSync Web Client for that purpose.
- If you try to create a new file in the same folder via desktop, you may see the following disclaimer:
The folder name you are creating is too long.
Try again using a shorter name or create the folder in a location that has a shorter path.
In this case, we do not recommend to create the files in this directory.
Q: Are Microsoft Office temporary files being synchronized?
- When Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc...) opens a file, it will often save a temporary file in the same directory. Office prepends these files with "~$". ShareSync does not sync these files or any other files whose names start with the tilde and dollar sign.
Q: What configurations are not supported by ShareSync desktop client?
- Installation on external hard drive or on mapped network drive
- Installation on Parallels VMs
- Installation on Fusion VMs
- Folder redirection for Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos folders
- Symbolic links for folders included to synchronization: My ShareSync, Documents and Desktop (even if folder is excluded from sync by policy or not picked up in Folder Selection)
- Multiple users on local machine (domain) cannot use the same installation of ShareSync, even if installed with Admin privileges. Each user need to install desktop client themselves while logged in as user
- Windows OS with .NET Framework version earlier than 4. You may update .NET framework using installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718
Also, note that some configuration may work for you, but considered unstable. We strongly recommend against this configuration:
- Documents and/or Desktop folder redirected to Network drive
- Documents and/or Desktop folder redirected to Removable drive
These will cause desktop client issues, when drive gets disconnected or change the assigned letter (for example E:\ becomes K:\ after re-connection)
Q: Can I use ShareSync on external hard drive?
- We recommend only syncing to a local hard drive. Do not use desktop Sync client with flash drives, external hard drives, network drives, or any external media.