To configure an FTP Server or Service for your Cloud Server, you will first need to set the Inbound Firewall Rule. Commonly, FTP uses Port 21. You may choose to use an alternate port. For the purpose of this article, we will use Port 21.
- Log into CONTROL PANEL and select Cloud Server.
- Click on the Firewall tab.
- Click the Add New Rule button.
- Give the rule a name.
Example: CloudServerName: FTP: 21
- Set the Protocol: TCP
- Set the Source. Select Host, Subnet or IP range from the dropdown list and enter the appropriate value in the field that appears. If you are opening FTP up to any external user, select ‘Any’.
- Do not set a value for Source Port.
- Set the Destination to your Cloud Server Private IP. Select Host from the dropdown list and enter the appropriate value in the field that appears.
- Set the Destination Port: 21.
- Set the Action to Allow.
- Set Enabled to Yes.
Once the new rule is added, FTP traffic will be able to reach your server on Port 21. You can now configure the FTP Role or Service for your Cloud Server. You may also need to configure the FTP Rules within Windows Firewall as well.
Note: if you are installing an FTP Server other than IIS 7, such as Filezilla FTP Server, creating an exception for the Windows Firewall on Port 21 may not be sufficient. It is often better to create a Windows Firewall Exception for the program itself.
Example: If creating a New Inbound Rule within the Wizard, set the Rule Type to Program. Set the Program to ‘This program path’ and enter the path to your FileZilla Server Program (C:\Program Files (x86)\FileZilla Server\FileZilla Server.exe). This may be different on your server.
If you choose to install the FTP service provided with Windows 2008, the Windows Firewall will be updated when the FTP Publishing Service is enabled. You can follow these steps to enable the FTP service:
- On the Start menu, click Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
- In the Server Manager Pane, in the Roles Summary section, click Web Server (IIS).
- In the Web Server (IIS) section, click Add Role Service.
- Under Role Services, select FTP Publishing Service. This will install the FTP service and the FTP management console.
- Click Next, then click Install.