Smarsh Hosted Services PC Backup allows you to backup your PC- and laptop-based files and folders. The PC Backup service uses an easy-to-use desktop software client that you install on the machine you wish to back up.
If you need to use PC Backup service on Mac OS, read the Knowledge Base article on Getting Started With PC Backup For Mac OS.
Here are a few steps to help get you started:
- Activate PC Backup service for the user.
- Download and install software.
- Select data for backup.
- Restore data from backup.
- The "Getting Started" email contains download links for PC Backup client. If you lose the email message, you can find download links in CONTROL PANEL > Services > PC Backup tab.
- Launch the file that you downloaded (if you see a security warning, click Run button), click Install button (or click Next and then Install) on Welcome screen:
- Input the license key and email address into the Sign in page. You can find all of the required information in the "Getting Started" email or in CONTROL PANEL > Services > PC Backup > Name of the user.
- Input the activation password that was sent you in the "Getting Started" email. Then click Next to scan for files to be backed up. The Summary page will generate a suggested backup selection.
- On Setup Complete screen, you can click on the Settings button to customize the sets of files you want to back up. If you don't need to change backup sets, click Finish. Your first backup will start automatically.
- Your first backup might take a while depending on the amount of data and the speed of your Internet connection (read article on How long does it take to back up my data? for more information).
- You can continue to use your computer while your backup is running.
- Read the Knowledge Base article on PC Backup For Windows Installation Troubleshooting, if you faced any issues during installation.
There are several different Backup sets set up for you to let you easily select files to back up. You can select file types (i.e. Word Processing Documents) or entire folders (i.e. My Documents). If you select a specific type of file type for backup, PC Backup will automatically add any newly created files into the all subsequent backups for that Backup set. If you save a document in to a folder that is selected to be backed up, that new document will also be backed up in the next backup.
When you click the name of a backup set, a list of the files included in the backup set is displayed in the right pane. You can partially select a folder to include only specific files in the directory for backup.
Only the files that are selected in the right pane will be backed up. If you want everything in the Backup set to be selected for backup, make sure the check mark in the left panel, next to the specific Backup set, is black on a white box (as opposed to black on a gray box).
To select backup sets:
To select a single file:
You can select a single file to be backup up. Right-click on the file and select Add to PC Backup backups. The menu item will have an PC Backup icon next to it. The file will be backed up the next time a backup runs.
- Right-click the PC Backup icon in your system tray, then select Restore Files.
- Select the files you want to restore.
- Click Restore Files.