Offline Folder files (.ost) have a default location on a computer. Sometimes you may need to change the default location in order to manage mail in Outlook or manage disk space on a computer.
To change the OST file location on the Outlook 2007 - 2010:
- Exit Microsoft Outlook.
- On the desktop, click Start > Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click on Mail.
- In the Mail Setup – Outlook window, click on Email Accounts.
- In the Account Settings window, select Microsoft Exchange and then click on Change.
- In the Change E-mail Account window, uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode, and then click More Settings.
- In the Microsoft Exchange window, click on Offline Folder File Settings.
- In the Offline Folder File Settings window, click on Disable Offline Use.
Note: Disable Offline Use might be inactive. To re-enable it disable Cached mode and restart the Outlook. Read the Knowledge Base article on What Is Cached Exchange Mode In Outlook? for more information.
- Click OK to return to the Microsoft Exchange window. Click on Offline Folder File Settings again and click on Browse to change the location of the Offline Folder, then click
- Return to the Change E-mail Account window, check Use Cached Exchange Mode and then click
- Click on Finish to save changes and close the window.
Important: Outlook 2013/2016 does not allow to change the .ost file location. Read Microsoft article on how to change the .ost file location for more details and further troubleshooting.