Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac, Web Services Edition uses Exchange Web Services as the primary protocol to communicate with Exchange Server. In addition to several calendaring improvements, this new version of Entourage synchronizes notes, tasks, and categories with Exchange Server.
If you already have Entourage Web Services Edition installed, read the Knowledge Base article How To Connect Entourage Web Services To My Exchange Mailbox instead.
Before you upgrade to Entourage Web Services Edition, you must have Entourage 2008 installed. If your hosting plan includes Entourage and Outlook, you can download Entourage from CONTROL PANEL > Get Started Here! > Step 2 (Download & Set Up Your Email Client) > Download Entourage (MAC). Microsoft Entourage is also available for your end-users to download from My Services, on the Welcome page (it will not be available if disabled by the administrator in Mailbox Properties, or if your plan does not include it).
Note: If you are using the MS Office Home and Student Edition, we DO NOT recommend that you install Entourage 2008 unless you have access to the MS Office Home and Student Edition CD. (The MS Office Home and Student Edition will not function until you reinstall it after the Entourage 2008 install is completed.)
Caution: If you want to go back to an earlier version of Entourage after you install Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition, you will have to remove the complete Office 2008 application.
Step #1. Verify that your computer meets system requirements announced by Microsoft.
- Your mailbox should be on an Exchange 2007 or 2010 account.
- The Operating System version must be Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) or a later. To verify that your computer meets the minimum requirements, on the Apple menu, click About This Mac.
- You must have Entourage 2008 installed.
- Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.3.2 Update is required (this requirement applies only to this release): You can download this update for free from the Microsoft web site. To verify that you have installed this update, you can open any Microsoft Office 2008 application to check the version number. For example, open Word, and then on the Word menu, click About Word. In the About window, compare the version number next to Latest Installed Update.
- You cannot run Entourage 2008 and Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition on the same Mac.
- EWS is required in order to connect using Exchange 2010. WebDav is no longer supported and will not work with 2010. For 2010 accounts, you must use Entourage 2008 EWS.
Step #2. Install Entourage Web Services Edition.
- Quit any applications that are running, including all Office applications, Microsoft Messenger, and Office Notifications, because they might interfere with installation.
- Navigate to the Microsoft website and click Download.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to save the file to your hard disk. If you are using Safari, the downloaded file is saved to the desktop unless you specified a different location in the Preferences dialog box of Safari. To check your preferences, on the Safari menu, click Preferences, then click General.
- Double-click the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition Update to open it.
- In the Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition Update window, follow the instructions on the screen to start the installation process.
- During the installation process, your Entourage 2008 identity is not imported or upgraded automatically for use with Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition. You must import data from the existing identity. When you first launch the new version of Entourage, you will have the option to import your existing Entourage 2008 identity. If you do not have an Entourage 2008 identity, read the Knowledge Base article on How To Connect Entourage Web Services To My Exchange Mailbox.
First of all, please make sure that your Mac meets the system requirements listed above.
You may get the following error message during installation, even if all updates are installed:
You cannot install Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.
Follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Completely remove Microsoft Office from the Mac. Open /%username%/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/, then double-click Remove Office. Follow the instructions to remove Office. Once complete, on the Finder menu, click Empty Trash.
- Reboot the Mac.
- Reinstall RTM Office for Mac (without any updates) from the DVD.
- Run updates for Microsoft Office.
- Install Microsoft Office Service Pack 1.
- Reboot the Mac.
- Run updates for Microsoft Office Service Pack 1.
- Install Microsoft Office Service Pack 2.
- Reboot the Mac.
- Run updates for Microsoft Office Service Pack 2.
- Install minor update (12.2.9) as described in the system requirements section above.
- Run the Entourage Web Services Edition installation file again.