This article describes basic troubleshooting steps to perform when facing FTP Connection Issues with Outlook backup.
If you cannot connect to the FTP server, please try the steps below:
- Verify that you are using correct connection settings in the FTP client. You may find these settings in CONTROL PANEL. Navigate to the Services > Outlook Backup > Backups > FTP access section on the right.
- Check your password. The most common reason for connection failures is an incorrect password used to connect.
Note: that in the FTP client, you should use the same password you are using to log in to CONTROL PANEL.
- Make sure that you have Maximum Number of Retries set to 99 in the FileZilla Settings, instead of the default.
- Try another FTP client on the same computer. It's possible that FTP client settings are preventing a successful connection.
- Make sure your firewall is not blocking connections. Contact your IT department or ISP and verify that port 990 is not blocked.
If you still see the issue and none of the steps above resolved it, please provide Smarsh Hosted Services Support the following information:
- FTP client log file or screenshots indicating unsuccessful connections
- Results of running telnet [hostname] 990 on the affected computer. Replace [hostname] with the name of the Host you are connecting to (go to Services > Outlook Backup > Backups > FTP access section to find the Host). Read the Knowledge Base article on What is Telnet? How do I run it? for more information
- Results of running tracert [hostname]. Read the Knowledge Base article on What is a trace route (tracert)? How do I run one? for more information
- Administrator login and password which you used for FTP client
If you see one of the following errors, contact Support for resolution:
- 500 DELE command not allowed
Provide Support with file names which caused this error
- Failed to retrieve directory listing
Provide Support with administrator login and password which you used for FTP client