You may find the following definitions of the Global Address List:
- A contact folder that is stored on the Exchange server. It contains information about all email users, distribution groups, and Exchange resources.
- A directory service for Outlook users to find email addresses and distribution lists.
- An inventory of all Exchange objects.
The Global Address List can be viewed in Outlook client or OWA under New Email > To. You can select recipients directly from the Global Address List.
The Global Address List consists of the following:
- Mailboxes listed in CONTROL PANEL
- Company Contacts
- Distribution lists
- Mail-enabled public folders
- Resource mailboxes
- POP/IMAP mailboxes
To set Global Address List as default Address Book in your Outlook, click Address Book > Tools > Options > Start with Global Address List > OK.
The offline copy of the Global Address List is the Offline Address Book (OAB). It is created when Outlook is running in Cached Exchange Mode. Read the Knowledge Base article on Offline Address Book (OAB) for more information.