Entourage and Outlook 2011 copy items from a Microsoft Exchange account and stores them in the local cache. If this cache becomes corrupted, it may cause synchronization issues with the Exchange server.
If you see that Entourage or Outlook 2011 and Outlook Web Access (OWA) folders don't match, you may want to reload the cache to fix the issue. For example, your Calendar in Entourage/Outlook 2011 is missing some items that you can view in OWA, or you don't get new messages in a mail client, but they are available in OWA. We recommend resetting the cache associated with the particular folder that has missing items. You can also reset the cache for the entire Exchange account.
Note: All screenshots below are taken from Entourage, however, Outlook 2011 has the same options.
To reset the cache associated with an Exchange folder:
- Right-click on the affected folder and click on Folder Properties.
- In the Folder Properties window, click on Empty to empty the cache. This process may take a while. During this time you won't be able to close this window or use Entourage/Outlook 2011 for any other tasks.
- When you return to the folder, it will appear empty. This is normal, because the local cache was deleted. Now your mail client will reload all the items from the Exchange server. This may take a while, too.
To reset the cache associated with the whole Exchange account:
- Right-click on the name of your Exchange account and click on Folder Properties.
- In the Folder Properties window, click on Empty to empty the cache. You will see a confirmation message that warns you about erasing unsynchronized items. This means that anything on the local computer that is not on the server will be lost. When you are sure you are safe, click on Empty Cache.
Note: This process will take a while. During this time, you won't be able to work with the application.
- After the cache has been emptied, you will need to wait for Entourage/Outlook 2011 to reload all your items from the Exchange server.