This article describes troubleshooting steps for when iOS device will not sync email or displays an error saying that it cannot connect to the server.
This could be an issue with a corrupt item in your mailbox. On an ActiveSync device, you would receive the error code: 0x86000108
To resolve the issue you can:
1. Make sure the limit of the ActiveSync devices is not exceeded. The default limit is 10 devices per mailbox. Navigate to Services > Mailboxes > click on the mailbox > ActiveSync to check the connected devices.
2. Set the iOS device to sync all items in the Inbox and/or Calendar, depending on where the corrupt item is.
To set the Inbox to sync all items:
- On the iOS device, go to Settings > Mail > Accounts.
- Select your account.
- Select Mail Days to sync > No Limit.
- In order to prevent synchronization issues, Smarsh Hosted Services does not recommend to use Mail Days to sync > No Limit if there are more than 3000 items in the inbox. For more information please refer to the article: Recommended Number Of Items In A Folder On Exchange.
- for iOS9 and lower on the iOS device, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > select your account.
To set the Calendar to sync all items:
- On the iOS device, go to Settings > Calendars.
- Select Sync > All Events.
Note: for iOS9 and lower on the iOS device, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > scroll to the bottom and select Calendar.
3. Delete existing Exchange account and add it again following the steps in the article: