Outlook Backup allows customers to perform various operations with PST files. Typical operations include migrating mailboxes to Smarsh Hosted Services as well as backup and restore operations. In order to use Outlook Backup, customers must log in to CONTROL PANEL with account owner credentials or as a technical administrator with access to the Outlook Backup module. The Outlook Backup module is enabled for Technical Administrators who already have access to Exchange > Outlook Backup module.
Important: Outlook Backup is not available for OWA-Only and POP/IMAP mailboxes. Exchange mailboxes must not be hidden from Global Address List.
- Backup Storage
- Uploading/downloading PST files
- Creating Backups
- Managing PST files
- PST file statuses
- Outlook Backup uses separate storage to keep the PST files, which is located on the FTP server and not the Exchange server. You may connect to the FTP
severvia FTP client.
- Customers can upload their own PST files and assign them to a particular mailbox.
- Customers can purchase additional disk space on the Storage Management page: CONTROL PANEL > Services > Outlook Backup > Storage Management.
- If the disk space is exceeded, our system will add additional disk space to your account automatically.
Administratorshould receive notification on this. Charges for the additional disk space will apply on the fifth day after additional disk space has been added.
To decrease the additional disk space for the account:
- Delete PST files from the account by selecting them in
checkboxes,and clicking on Delete.
Note: Outlook Backup disk space is calculated once per day during night hours. If you remove a PST file, the correct disk space value will show up only by the next day.
- The next day, open Services > Outlook Backup > Storage Management.
- Select the desired value from the
dropdownmenu next to Purchased Additional Disk Space.
- Save changes
To upload PST files:
- Go to CONTROL PANEL > Services > Outlook Backup > Backups > press Upload Backups button.
Please note that Upload Backups button is not available on Mac machines.
- Select to Run the file, allow
programto make changes to your computer.
- In the Uploader window click on Select Files to Upload button:
- On your computer, select the file and press Open button.
- The file will appear in the list of backups in Outlook Backup.
To download PST file:
- Go to CONTROL PANEL > Services > Outlook Backup > Backups
- Click on the arrow in Download column next to the file you want to download.
- Select the location on your machine to download
fileto and click Download button.
Note: You may use FileZilla or another FTP client to download and upload multiple PST files. Read the Knowledge Base article on How Do I Use FileZilla To Upload/Download Multiple PST files? for more information.
- There is a hard limit set for creating backups in Outlook Backup service - 50 GB. Read the Knowledge Base article on How To Back Up A Large Mailbox for more information how to create a backup for mailbox bigger than 50 GB.
- When a backup is created, the notification is being sent only to the account administrator. The end-user will not receive the notification.
- PST file size is calculated once a day during maintenance. After you a new backup is created, it might take up to 24 hours for the correct size to be displayed.
- If the creation of mailbox backup fails repeatedly and the mailbox size is lower than 50 GB — contact Support.
- Go to CONTROL PANEL > Services > Outlook Backup > Create Backup
- Specify backup details:
Select backup type:
- Full backup
- Calendar/Contacts/Inbox/Sent Items/Tasks/Notes/Deleted Items
Add mailboxes to backup: select mailboxes that will be backed up
- Press Backup button.
Note: you can backup multiple mailboxes on the Create Backup page.
PST files can be managed on the Backups page: CONTROL PANEL > Services > Outlook Backup > Backups:
- Uploaded PST files can be assigned to mailboxes. To assign PST to
mailbox, click Assign next to the file, select mailbox from the list, and click Select.
- A PST file can be reassigned to a different mailbox. To reassign a PST file, select the box next to the file and click Reassign. Then select another mailbox in the list to assign
fileto, click Select.
- PST files assigned to a particular mailbox can be restored to it. To do this select the box next to the file and click Restore.
- Restored PST files can be removed from Outlook Backup after you verify that restoration was completed with no errors. When you remove a restored PST file from Outlook Backup, it doesn't affect existing mailbox data.
Backup and restore operations can be full, or they can have limiting options such as applying the operation only to particular folders, specified date ranges, or messages with certain subjects.
Important: Restore operation will merge items in the selected folder. In order to open a PST file without merge, please select Download option and open that PST fille.
- Uploading: PST file is being uploaded and is not available for managing.
- Queued: Backup or restore operation was requested for this PST file and it was put in the queue.
- Backing Up: Backup creation for a mailbox is in
- Restoring: PST file is being restored to a mailbox.
- Unassigned: PST file is not associated with a mailbox.
- Available: PST file was successfully uploaded or created using the backup operation and is ready to be managed.
- Failed: Backup or restore operation with the PST file failed. Read the Knowledge Base article on Why does the restore operation with the PST file fail in Outlook Backup? for more information.