- The difference between Disabled user, Deleted Exchange mailbox and Deleted user
- Disabling a user
- Deleting a mailbox
- Deleting a user
Important: Disabling a user will also disable access to any services as well, such as ShareSync and Elevate.
Note: Refer to the following article How to Back Up The Mailbox Before Deleting A User? for instruction how to back up the mailbox before deleting it.
- If you disable a user, the Active Directory object remains untouched together with the mailbox data and properties, but you will not be able to access any mailbox data. To disable the user: go to CONTROL PANEL > Users > click on user > User Info > Disable User.
- If an Exchange mailbox is deleted, the user loses all data and attributes associated with Exchange mailbox, though the Active Directory object and the email address still remain in the system. To delete Exchange mailbox: CONTROL PANEL > Users > click on user > Exchange > Delete Exchange mailbox.
- If you delete a user, the Active Directory object is removed together with all the data and properties of the user.
A user (mailbox) can be disabled directly in the CONTROL PANEL or disabled automatically when the mailbox contents have exceeded the space allowed for the mailbox.
Please note that in either case, it can take several hours after re-enabling a mailbox for the status change of the mailbox to propagate throughout Active Directory and allow the mailbox to be available again.
- Mailboxes disabled in CONTROL PANEL
When a mailbox is disabled through CONTROL PANEL, you will no longer be able to access any data associated with it. The data will remain on the server indefinitely and can be accessed again by enabling the mailbox. Disabled email accounts are able to receive emails. The mailbox will continue to be counted in the total number of mailboxes on your account, and the space used by that mailbox will still be included in the total disk space for your account.
Note: Once the user is disabled active sessions via Outlook and mobile devices may remain active for an unspecified period of time even through the account is disabled and/or the password is changed. This is due to the design of the Microsoft authentication tokens.
- To disable or enable a mailbox, navigate to CONTROL PANEL > Users . Click on the user's display name, then click Disable User.
- Mailboxes disabled automatically because of size
If a mailbox is disabled due to exceeding the set Storage Management Limit for the mailbox, it will be enabled again automatically when you do one of the following:
- Increase the allowed
disk spacefor that mailbox through Storage Management.
- Reduce the contents of the mailbox to be within the established size limit
This feature availability may depend on your plan.
- Increase the allowed
If an Exchange mailbox is deleted, the user loses all data and attributes associated with Exchange mailbox, though the Active Directory object and the email address still remain in the system. To delete an Exchange mailbox, navigate to CONTROL PANEL > Services > Mailboxes > Exchange Mailboxes, uncheck the box next to the mailbox under Exchange Mailbox and click Proceed.
Note: For 30 days, the mailbox with all the data in it is still stored on the server. During these 30 days, the mailbox can be reconnected to another user object and all the functionality of the mailbox can be restored (client access, management through CONTROL PANEL, etc.). To reconnect a mailbox, submit an Extended Service request by navigating to CONTROL PANEL > Support > Extended Services and select Undelete a mailbox from the drop-down list.
After 30 days, if the mailbox has not been reconnected, it is purged.
If you delete a user, the Active Directory object is removed together with all the data and properties of the user. To delete a user, navigate to CONTROL PANEL > Users check the box next to the user and click Delete Selected Users and then Confirm.
The user cannot be deleted if one of these licenses is assigned to it:
- Office Apps
- User-Based Email Encryption
- SharePoint ownership.
Note: if a user had Exchange service enabled, Exchange data can be restored during the next 30 days. Read the Deleting a mailbox section for more information.