Before you can open a shared folder, you must know who granted you with access and what type of folder it is. Read the Knowledge Base article How To Share Folders In Entourage 2004/2008 for information on how to share a folder.
To open a shared folder:
1. In Entourage, go to File > Open Other User's Folder.
2. In the appeared window select the type of folder from the list in the Type box (for example Calendar).
3. To select the user, click on the Find User button to the right of the User field.
4. In the Select User window, type the name or mailbox username in the text box and click on the Find button.
5. Now you need to display the Alias column in the results (the alias is a special Exchange property that initially equals the mailbox username, but is not modified when the mailbox username is changed through CONTROL PANEL). To do this, hold down the Control key and click the E-Mail column header. In the popup menu click on Alias.
6. Select the desired user from the search results.
- If the first part of the email address before the @ sign is the same as the mailbox alias in the Alias column, click on Ok and then click on Ok again to close the Open Other User's Folder window. Proceed to step #7 below.
- If the first part of the email address before the @ sign is different from the mailbox alias in the Alias column, click on Advanced.
Note: There are two different workarounds that you may use at this point. If the first option does not help, please try the second one.
6.1 Workaround #1
In the Advanced Settings window modify the email address to use the exact alias and click on Ok. Then click on Ok to close the Open Other User's Folder window.
6.2 Workaround #2
In the Advanced Settings window, leave the email address unchanged. Modify the server address to use the same server name as entered in your own account settings in Entourage, but substitute your email address with the email address of the user who shared the folder.
For example, if the suggested server address is mail.ourgreatcompanydomain.com and the email address of the user who grants you access to the calendar is firstname.lastname@example.org, then you need to modify the server address to make it look like this:
Please see the screenshot below (the full server name is there, it just doesn't fit in the Entourage window for viewing):
After making this change, click OK. Then click OK to close the Open Other User's Folder window.
7. If you do not have permission to access the folder, a message window will be displayed:
If you do have permission, the connection will be made and after a short period of time the folder will appear in the “View” list on the left side:
To remove a shared folder from view:
If you have previously connected to another user's folder (for example, Calendar) and no longer want to see it or no longer have proper access to it, you can remove it from your Entourage view.
1. Open Entourage and click the icon for the type of folder (for example, click Calendar to switch to the calendar views).
2. Hold down the Control key and click the shared folder in the list of views. In the menu, choose Remove from View.