You can store copies of your Skype for Business/Lync chat conversations in your Outlook to refer to later. This option is only supported if you are using Outlook as the Default mail client.
Note: Make sure that your domain has a valid autodiscover record. Read this article for more information What Is An Autodiscover Record And Why Do I Need It?
To turn on the option for storing chat history:
- Open Skype for Business or Lync and sign in.
Note: Though the interface differs in Skype for Business, Lync 2013 and Lync 2010, the steps to enable this feature are the same for all applications.
- Click Show Menu arrow next to the gear icon in the top right and select Tools > Options > Personal.
- On the Personal tab, choose Microsoft Exchange or Microsoft Outlook from drop-down menu and select Save my IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder. Click OK.
- Sign out of Skype for Business/Lync (choose drop-down menu next to Availability Status > Sign Out), then sign back in to apply changes.
- All future chats will be saved in the Conversation History folder. You can open this folder in Outlook or OWA.
Note: if there are more than 1000 folders in the mailbox, saving chat conversations feature may not work correctly.
If the checkbox Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder is greyed out, perform the following steps:
- Open regedit: to do so, click the Start button and then in the Start Menu, either in the Run box or in the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.
- Create the registry backup.
Note: you can skip this step, however, we highly recommend to back up the registry before you proceed to modifying its entries.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\x.0\Lync (x.0 corresponds to the Office version: 16.0 = Office 2016, 15.0 = Office 2013, 14.0 = Office 2010)
- Remove a DWORD entry named IMAutoArchivingPolicy.
Note: If IMAutoArchivingPolicy has value of 0 the box will be unchecked and greyed out. If IMAutoArchivingPolicy has value of 1, the box will be checked and greyed out.
- Reboot your machine. After a reboot you should be able to check the box Save IM conversations in my email Conversation History folder.