This article describes the process of creating a rule in Outlook. For example, we need to separate messages which are being delivered to email aliases from messages delivered to the primary email address. Read the Knowledge Base article on What Are Email Aliases For An Exchange Mailbox? for more information about additional email addresses.
For example, you have the email address firstname.lastname@example.org and the alias email@example.com assigned to your mailbox. You would like to separate messages which were sent to firstname.lastname@example.org from the messages sent to email@example.com. You can set up a rule to move the messages sent to the alias to a separate folder. Follow the instructions below for Outlook or your version of Outlook Web Access (OWA).
- Outlook 2010/2013/2016/2019: File > Info > Manage Rules and Alerts > E-mail Rules tab. Outlook 2007: Navigate to Tools > Rules and Alerts.
- Click New Rule to open the Rules Wizard.
- In the Start from a blank rule section, choose Apply rule to messages I receive and click Next.
- Under Step 1: Choose Condition, choose with specific words in the message header.
- Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click specific words. In the Search Text window, type the alias (in our example, firstname.lastname@example.org) > Add > OK > Next.
Note: you may specify several words or phrases be adding them to the Search list
- Choose move it to the specified folder and specify the folder which you would like to move messages to. If you have not created the folder yet, you can do that now. Click Next.
- Specify exceptions if needed and click Next.
- Specify if you would like to run the rule for messages that you have already received, and click Finish.
Read the Microsoft Knowledge Base article here for more information about Outlook rules.
- In OWA click on Settings (gear icon) > Options > Organize email > Inbox rules.
- Click on Plus icon > Create new rule for arriving messages... > More options.
- Name the rule, choose When the message arrives, and It includes these words > in the mesage header... > add your alias (e.g. email@example.com) > click + > OK.
- Under Do the following: select Move, copy, or Delete > Move the message to folder... > specify the folder which you would like to move the message to.
- Click Save
- In OWA click on Settings (gear icon) > Options > Mail > Inbox and sweep rules.
- Click on Plus icon to create a new rule.
- Name the rule, for When the message arrives, and it matches all of these conditions select It includes these words > in the message header... > add your alias (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) > click + > OK.
- Under Do all of the following: select Move, copy, or Delete > Move the message to folder... > specify the folder which you would like to move the message to.
- Click Save
You may create different rules based on specific words. Rules run in the order in which they appear in the list, the rule at the top of the list runs first. You may change the rules order by using up and down arrows.
If you want only one rule to be applied to a message, use stop processing more rules condition when creating a rule.
Rules which have stop processing more rules condition enabled are marked with an icon in Outlook.